A COMPILATION OF SOCIAL MEDIA STATISTICS AND INFORMATION
THE FOLLOWING VIDEO AND SOCIAL MEDIA STATS WERE COMPILED BY ERIK QUALMAN. ERIK IS THE AUTHOR OF SOCIALNOMICS, A FASCINATING READ ABOUT HOW SOCIAL MEDIA IS TRANSFORMING OUR LIVES, BOTH PERSONALLY AND PROFESSIONALLY!
Along with the video, Erik has compiled a list of compelling statistics with regard to the size and continued growth and influence of social media on our lives. I have listed a few of the statistics below. You can also read the full post entitled “Statistics Show Social Media Is Bigger Than You Think” on Erik’s website. He asks the question “Is Social Media a Fad or the biggest shift since the Industrial Revolution? Welcome to the Social Media Revolution.”
Below are a few of the statistics that correspond to the video and article:
- By 2010 Gen Y will outnumber Baby Boomers….96% of them have joined a social network
- Years to Reach 50 millions Users: Radio (38 Years), TV (13 Years), Internet (4 Years), iPod (3 Years)…Facebook added 100 million users in less than 9 months…iPhone applications hit 1 billion in 9 months.
- If Facebook were a country it would be the world’s 4th largest between the United States and Indonesia (note that Facebook is now creeping up – recently announced 300 million users)
- % of companies using LinkedIn as a primary tool to find employees….80%
- The fastest growing segment on Facebook is 55-65 year-old females
- 80% of Twitter usage is outside of Twitter…people update anywhere, anytime…imagine what that means for bad customer experiences?
- Because of the speed in which social media enables communication, word of mouth now becomes world of mouth
- 78% of consumers trust peer recommendations
- More than 1.5 million pieces of content (web links, news stories, blog posts, notes, photos, etc.) are shared on Facebook…daily.
- Successful companies in social media act more like Dale Carnegie and less like David Ogilvy Listening first, selling second
ANOTHER FASCINATING COMPILATION OF WHAT SOCIAL MEDIA IS BY MARTA KAGAN: